Honor MissionJohn T. Garry II, Veteran
US Army Air Corps - WWII
Albany, New York -
ABOUT THE MISSION:
The family of John T. Garry II has requested the participation of the Patriot Guard Riders in Mr. Garry's military honors funeral. Another of our "Greatest Generation" heroes has passed on.
PRIMARY STAGING DETAILS:
- Primary Staging Time:
- McVeigh Funeral Home
- 208 North Allen St.
- Albany, New York -
- Ride Captain:
- Bill Schaafpgrnysc@gmail.com
- Special Instructions:
- - Flag line at funeral home for arrival of family and friends.
- - Flag line for dignified transfer then onto:
- St. Pius X Church
- 23 Crumitie Rd,
- Loudonville, NY
- - Flag line for dignified transfer into church. Funeral Mass of Christian burial.
- - Approx. Flag line for dignified transfer from church then onto:
- St. Agnes Cemetery
- 48 Cemetery Ave, Menands, NY
- Flag line present for dignified transfer then at graveside for interment services.
- Mission Narrative:
- John T. Garry II answered his country's call to service in WWII. He left college at Cornell University and joined the US Army Air Corps and trained to be a B-17 pilot at the age of 21 years old. Assigned to the fabled US Army 8th Air Force, he was stationed near London, England. As a 2nd Lieutenant in the later stages of the war in 1945, he piloted his craft and crew on numerous daytime raids over Germany that included assaults over Berlin. The defenses surrounding Berlin were murderous and on some raids his B-17 was severely damaged inflicting injuries and death to some of his crew. Among his experiences was his dis-obeying a command not to land at a specific airfield - he had no choice - his B-17 was out of fuel - he "dead sticked" the landing. For these and other exploits he was awarded Air Medal for Meritorious Achievement, EAME Ribbon and three European Battle Stars. After the war, John Garry married and raised a family. He continued to experience great success in life as he graduated from Siena College, Albany Law School. After forming his law firm he advanced in the legal profession to Assistant Albany Corporation Counsel and Assistant District Attorney for Albany County until he was appointed District Attorney for Albany County by the then Governor Averill Harriman - being elected for two terms after that.
- His full obituary can be found at:http://www.mcveighfuneralhome.
- The Patriot Guard Riders will be privileged to be there to render Honor, Dignity and Respect for the life and service of John T. Garry II.
- Bill Schaaf
Patriot Guard Riders NY - State Captain
Veteran Recovery Program - NY State Coordinator
PGR NY Board of Directors - President